Monday, January 9, 2012

The New Grading System

Following up my 100+ trips to the movie theater in 2011, I have decided to update my grading system for What’s Up Movement. The previous method saw 101 possible scores between 0.0 and 10.0, though most of those possibilities never came up. Because of that, I received much scrutiny about always giving movies sevens or eights. But by my standards, most of them fell in that range. Rarely did a movie only get 10 percent correct. Skeptical moviegoers may disagree and that’s okay.

So in 2012, I will be converting over to the more commonly used five star system. But here we're going to use arrows. With that comes a less specific score, but the goal will be to make it less arbitrary as well. Each film will have the ability to earn one arrow in five categories. This may mean movie score averages will be commonly higher or lower than before. I can’t be sure yet. The five categories are listed below.

*Acting- Plain and Simple, did the actors help or hurt the overall movie

*Writing/Directing- From dialogue to after effects, how successful were those behind the camera.

*Emotion- Was the intended reaction achieved?

*Innovation- Will the film have any impact on their genre or audiences?

*Overall Impression- Positive or negative

So from there it must be said that I will still rate the films I see with the optimistic approach I always have. Those who disagree are welcome to comment on the individual post or our Facebook page. Though I have to warn you, the people who say “No way, that sucked” just come off as trashy and uneducated. The words in the review have always been more important than the score. So keep that in mind.

I’d love to read your reviews and commentary too. I may be the primary writer, but that doesn’t mean people wouldn’t want a second opinion. Thanks for visiting What’s Up Movement.

-Tom